Scholarships & Contests
NEST offers scholarships, contests, and drawings.
Check periodically to see the latest opportunity to save more.
“Why I Want to Go to College” Writing Sweepstakes
Seventh and eighth grade students in the U.S. can enter the 19th annual “Why I Want to Go to College” writing sweepstakes sponsored by the Nebraska Educational Savings Plan Trust and the Omaha Storm Chasers Baseball Club.
- Open to seventh and eighth grade students.
- All essays must be post-marked by Thursday, April 1, 2021.
- The essay should be no more than 750 words.
- Students are asked to reflect on the value of education and what they hope to achieve through higher education.
- Winners will be contacted in April 2021.
- Do not submit entries to Union Bank & Trust; they will not be forwarded or included in the Sweepstakes.
Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners:
- 1st place winners: $2,000 contribution to a Nebraska 529 Plan
- 2nd place winners: $1,000 contribution to a Nebraska 529 Plan
- 3rd place winners: $500 contribution to a Nebraska 529 Plan
Essay must include a cover sheet and the following:
- Student’s name and grade
- Resident address
- Parent/Guardian name and telephone number
- Parent/Guardian email address (if available)
- Nebraska residents: include your U.S. Congressional District (either district 1, 2, or 3)
- Non-Nebraska residents: do not include a Congressional District
Mail your essay and cover sheet as follows:Omaha Storm Chasers
Attn: Andrea Bedore
NEST Writing Sweepstakes
12356 Ballpark Way
Papillion, NE 68046
For more information on the sweepstakes rules and prizes:
- The Nebraska State Treasurer’s Office website.
Looking for something specific?